More in News
- ANA unveils new cabin uniforms
- Almost half of LHR local residents 'back expansion'
- Choice to debut Quality and Clarion brands in China
- Virgin and Delta expand codeshare to Mexico
- Qantas to downsize on Brisbane to Singapore route
- Heathrow T2 giant sculpture is unveiled
- SIA cuts A380 flights to Australia
- Birmingham Airport runway extension ready next week
- Langham to open hotel in Dubai
- Flybe expands at London City Airport
Doha's Hamad International Airport to open in January
Doha's new Hamad International Airport will open in January, according to Qatar's transport minister.
Jassim Seif Ahmed al-Sulaiti said that cargo flights at the airport — formerly known as New Doha Interational Airport — would commence as early as next week and passenger flights in the new year, reports the Gulf Times.
The soft opening will see ten carriers initially move to Hamad International, operating out of Concourse B.
These airlines are Air Arabia; Air India Express; Biman Bangladesh Airlines; Flydubai; Iran Air; Nepal Airlines; Pakistan International Airlines; RAK Airways; Syrian Air; and Yemen Airways.
Qatar Airways will continue to fly to and from Doha International Airport, before moving its entire operations to Hamad International later in 2014.
The new airport has been dogged by a series of delays, resulting in its opening being postponed a number of times (see news, April 2).
Once fully open, it will accommodate 28 million passengers, increasing to 50 million beyond 2015.