More in News
- Boeing finds "hairline cracks" in 40 787s
- Win Premium Economy return tickets with Qantas
- Reviews round-up
- Win an iPad Air
- Finnair reveals fully-flat business seat schedule
- Sri Lankan to join Oneworld in May
- 'Engine surge' forces BA aircraft to turn back
- Qatar upgrades business seat and IFE systems
- BA makes Gold Executive Club upgrade changes
- Hilton refurbishing Heathrow T4 hotel
Doha's Hamad International Airport to open in January
Doha's new Hamad International Airport will open in January, according to Qatar's transport minister.
Jassim Seif Ahmed al-Sulaiti said that cargo flights at the airport — formerly known as New Doha Interational Airport — would commence as early as next week and passenger flights in the new year, reports the Gulf Times.
The soft opening will see ten carriers initially move to Hamad International, operating out of Concourse B.
These airlines are Air Arabia; Air India Express; Biman Bangladesh Airlines; Flydubai; Iran Air; Nepal Airlines; Pakistan International Airlines; RAK Airways; Syrian Air; and Yemen Airways.
Qatar Airways will continue to fly to and from Doha International Airport, before moving its entire operations to Hamad International later in 2014.
The new airport has been dogged by a series of delays, resulting in its opening being postponed a number of times (see news, April 2).
Once fully open, it will accommodate 28 million passengers, increasing to 50 million beyond 2015.