More in News
- Air France-KLM orders 25 A350-900s
- Hotel check: One Leicester Street
- Flydubai launches business class across its network
- Tried and Tested: Finnair A330-300 business
- Easyjet strikes deal for 135 A320s
- Boeing secures 'commitments' for 102 B787-10s
- Virgin Atlantic to deploy B747 on all Manchester to Orlando flights
- Qatar Airways orders nine B777-300ERs
- Air France-KLM and Jet Airways sign codeshare agreement
- LHR Terminal 2 to be named after the Queen
Harrods hotels planned for key cities
Published: 04/07/2012 RSS
A series of Harrods hotels are proposed for key cities such as Paris, New York and Kuala Lumpur, according to Reuters.
Qatar's sovereign wealth fund plans to build a luxury hotel chain after the upmarket London department store.
The report claims Qatar Holding has signed an agreement with Malaysian partner Jerantas Sdn Bhd to build a 300-room hotel in Kuala Lumpur's Bukit Bintang shopping district and a hotel management company will be established to develop similar projects globally.
"Preference will be given to construct on sites already owned by Qatar Holding or its affiliates, for example at Chelsea Barracks in London or Costa Smeralda in Sardinia," it said. "Qatar Holding ultimately intends to grow Harrods into a global enterprise that defines the luxury retail and leisure sectors."
Construction will start in a year on the 5.5-acre (2.2 hectare) site in Kuala Lumpur, with about 2 billion ringgit ($634 million) to be spent on the development.
Report by Dominic Ellis